To generate a CSR using the Cygwin UNIX environment:
- Double-click the Cygwin icon on the desktop. A command window opens with a UNIX bash environment.
- To change to a particular drive, use the command: cd driveLetter:
- At the $ prompt, type the following to generate a CSR:
openssl req -new -nodes -keyout privateKeyFilename -out certRequestFilename
openssl req -new -nodes -keyout private.key -out public.csr
A status messages about the private key generation appear. You will be prompted for information such as country name.
- When prompted for the Common name, enter the DNS name of the AG.
The name that you enter will appear in the certificate and must match the name expected by PCs that connect to the AG.
Thus, if you alias DNS names, you will need to use the alias name instead.
- Submit your CSR (public.csr).
When asked for the type of server that the certificate will be used with, select 'Other'.